- On July 5, 2004 Estelle Richardson was found dead in her solitary confinement cell at Corrections Corporation of America’s Metro-Davidson County Detention Facility at 5115 Harding Place in Nashville, Tennessee. An official investigation showed that Richardson was the only inmate in her cell, and that she was involved in an incident with a guard or guards on Sunday. The death of pre-trail detainee Estelle Richardson was classified by both the Medical Examiner and the police department as homicide.
- The firm represented the two surviving minor children (aged 14 and 6) through their legal conservator in a wrongful death suit filed in U.S. District Court in the Middle District of Tennessee. The case settled for a confidential sum in April 2006. David Randolph Smith served as lead counsel for the plaintiffs along with Bart Durham & Associates and Michigan attorneys Bill McHenry and Ven Johnson of Fieger, Fieger, Kenney and Johnson P.C.
News / Articles
- Four CCA Guards Indicted (9/30/05)
- CCA 2d Quarter Earnings Conference Call (8/5/04). Comments by CCA CEO John Ferguson.
- Attorneys Battle Over Civil Case in Jailhouse Death (8/16/04)
- “A Prison Murder” (7/15/04).
- CCA COO Executive Quits Suddenly (8/11/04)
- Article: Family of Woman Killed in Tennessee Prison Sues CCA (7/30/04).