Nashville Bike Accident Lawyer
Helping Bicyclists and Pedestrians
When a motor vehicle collides with a person on a bike or on foot, the results can be tragic. Pedestrian and bicycle injuries can result in severe brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and wrongful death. If you or someone close to you has suffered a bicycle or pedestrian accident, is important to have a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer on your side.At David Randolph Smith & Associates, our experienced attorneys stand up for the rights of those injured by the careless and negligent actions of others. Our firm is dedicated to helping injury victims obtain justice and compensation.
Bicycle travel is becoming more and more common as people seek healthier, cost-effective and environmentally friendly means of transportation. Unfortunately, not all motorists respect the rights of bicyclists and pedestrians on streets, highways, and in parking lots, intersections and other locations.
Many bicycle and pedestrian accidents are the result of the driver simply not seeing the accident victim. This is no excuse. Motorists are obligated to be attentive and watch out for pedestrians and bicycle riders. Failure to do so constitutes negligence.
Of course, the opposing party may claim the accident was your fault. We are prepared to counter such arguments. Our attorneys have access to experts in accident reconstruction, human factors and other relevant fields who help us prepare our cases. This depth of knowledge allows us to identify weaknesses in the defendant’s case and present compelling arguments for our clients. We will put our experience, skill and resources to work for you, to help you pursue full and fair compensation for the losses you have suffered.
Bicycle Accident Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I Sue For My Bicycle Accident?
If you were injured – or a family member was injured or killed – due to the negligence or fault of a motorist of other party, while riding a bicycle, you can bring a lawsuit against the negligent party to recover damages. As a matter of fact, if the at-fault party does not immediately accept responsibility we would file the lawsuit as soon as possible. If not, valuable time is wasted.
2. Who Are The Parties I Can Recover Damages From For My Injuries?
- Negligent drivers of automobiles, buses or trucks – if the accident was caused by the driver of a vehicle
- Negligent manufacturers or retailers of bicycles, bicycle parts, bicycle accessories and/or vehicles – if the accident was caused by a defective product
- The City, County or State who maintains the roads – if the accident is caused by a dangerous condition created by an unsafe roadway
- Negligent repair shops or mechanics – if the accident was caused by negligent repair of a vehicle or bicycle
- Dangerous condition of public property – if the accident happened due to negligent design, maintenance, or upkeep of public property – including construction, tree trimming, etc.
- Dangerous condition of private property – if the accident was caused by the negligent maintenance or upkeep of private property.
3. What Are My Rights And Responsibilities As A Bicycle Rider?
Tennessee law provides a bicycle rider with the same rights and responsibilities as an automobile or other vehicle operator. Therefore, the laws pertaining to bicycle riders fall within the Tennessee Code and an accident is handled similar to an automobile accident. Certain exceptions may apply if the bicycle is not actually being “ridden” at the time of the accident.
4. Are There Any Special Laws That Apply To Bicyclists?
The Tennessee Code does have some specific sections that apply only to bicycle riders. These laws not only protect a bicycle rider, but also set forth specific responsibilities and duties.
These laws include regulations on such topics as:
- Drinking or using drugs while riding
- Specifics on where the bicyclist may ride and at what speeds
- Specifics on the equipment a rider is required to have on their bicycle and on their person when riding
- The use of hand signals
- The use of bicycle lanes
- The number of riders allowed on a bicycle
- Specifics on the use of vehicle traffic and turn lanes.
5. Can I Be Found At Fault In My Bicycle Accident?
If a bicyclist violates the laws set forth for safe operation of a bicycle and that violation is found to be a contributing or causing factor of the accident, then the bicycle rider may be found at fault. If a bicycle rider is found to be operating their bicycle under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they may be arrested for a DUI and can lose their driver’s license as well.
6. Have You Represented Bicycle Clients Where The Damages Were Not Caused By A Motor Vehicle?
Yes. Our bicycle law firm has and or is representing injured cyclists in the following situations:
- Dog Attacks: Loose dogs are a major hazard to cyclists. Dogs can knock a cyclist off his bicycle, causing serious injuries. State law requires dog owners to be on notice of a dog’s propensity to attack or to run off the property after cyclists or others who are passing by. The dog does not necessarily have to bite.
- Product Liability (bike, helmet, assembly): If some part of the bicycle gives way, causing or contributing to the crash, we will have the bicycle examined by an expert rather than a bicycle shop. We need to know if there was an equipment malfunction such as brake failure, failure of the pedal to release properly, etc.
- Motor Vehicle Harassment: Cyclists, particularly those wearing Spandex or Razors are frequently subject to harassment by drivers. Harassment ranges from shouting to cursing, buzzing (passing too closely) or throwing objects at the cyclist. Some states have passed laws specifically prohibiting harassment of cyclists and making certain harassing behavior criminal. If such behavior causes injury to the cyclist, there is coverage pursuant to the harassers homeowner’s insurance. Motor vehicle insurance policies exclude intentional acts. Throwing objects from cars at cyclists have been held not related to the operation of motor vehicles and are therefore not covered by auto insurance policies.
- As a victim of a bicycle/pedestrian accident you may be unable to work and support your family and may face years of rehabilitation. It is important to have an experienced and knowledgeable law firm representing you in your claim and against third parties. At David Randolph Smith & Associates, Attorneys at Law, our Tennessee and Nashville lawyers have been representing those injured by drivers for over 30 years. We are available to assist clients throughout all of Tennessee including, but not limited to, Nashville, Murfreesboro, Lebanon, Gallatin, Clarksville, Chattanooga, Memphis, and all smaller cities and rural areas in the state.
- Injuries from a Tennessee Bicycle Accident, require a reliable personal injury law firm such as David Randolph Smith & Associates to begin immediately protecting your rights. A Nashville bike accident lawyer of the law offices of David Randolph Smith & Associates is extremely experienced and successful in obtaining compensation for bicycle accident victims. We have handled numerous lawsuits against negligent parties and have obtained millions of dollars on behalf of our clients.
- David Randolph Smith & Associates has received the AV rating under Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system. Our firm has been listed in Best Law Firms in America. Our attorneys’ credentials are both individually and collectively impressive; they include certification as a Medical Malpractice Specialist, selection as a Mid-South Super Lawyer**, attorneys named in the Top 100 attorneys in Tennessee by Law and Politics Magazine and inclusion in the guidebook Best Lawyers in America.
- A detailed free consultation with one of our Nashville Bike Accident Lawyer or pedestrian accident attorneys, puts a team of respected legal professionals, independent investigators and medical experts to evaluate your Tenessee bike accident lawsuit immediately and confidentially.
- The firm’s Nashville, Tennessee bike accident attorneys have close working relationships with local, state and federal law enforcement and officials and investigators.
Over $500 Million
Recovered Since 1993
We've Helped Thousands of People Just Like You
We are known for getting life-changing results and fighting to make our communities safer.
Why Choose Us As Your Nashville Bike Accident Attorney
With us on your side, you can focus on what’s most important – your recovery.
Decades Of Experience
Our Nashville attorneys have over 75 years of combined practice handling cases involving personal injury, medical malpractice, civil rights, medical device lawsuits, wrongful death, and much more.
DRS Law is a well-respected law firm in Nashville and throughout the U.S. Founder, David Randolph Smith, has been selected as a Mid-South Super Lawyer, named one of the Top 100 attorneys in Tennessee in all fields of practice, and is included in the Best Lawyers in America guidebook.
Small Case Volume
Unlike many Nashville firms or lawyers that handle a large volume of cases, we concentrate our expertise on a select few cases. With this, our attorneys ensure that every step is taken to obtain the most favorable outcomes for our clients.
We Prepare For Trial
Every case is meticulously prepared for trial by our trial team and support staff in order to maximize the recovery for our client, whether by settlement or trial verdict. Our proven track record of success has resulted in multi-million-dollar settlements and judgments in a wide variety of individual and group cases.
What to Expect
Our Legal Services Are Completely Personalized To You And Your Unique Needs
01 Free Consultation
Our top-rated Tennessee personal injury lawyers provide free, no-pressure case evaluations. We will help you determine if you have a case and will answer all your questions in plain English. We never charge any fees until we win your case.
02 Personalized Service
If we take your case, it’s because we believe we can help you. We will get to work outlining a strategic plan of action. We want you to feel taken care of during this difficult time — whatever questions you have, we’re here with answers. Frequent check-ins ensure you are comfortable with the progress of your case.
03 You Get Paid
We are passionate about the success of your case and will give it the close attention and focus it deserves. We find solutions that other lawyers miss, discovering key facts that help you win. We call upon our gifts in storytelling to argue your case with passion and conviction so you get the compensation and justice you deserve.
What Our Clients Say
“The intellect combined with compassion of these people is incredible.”
I am very thankful to David, Lyon, Chris and all professionals who represent this firm. This team made an incredibly difficult situation end successfully. The intellect combined with compassion of these people is incredible. Our concerns were quickly and appropriately responded to, with knowledge and compassion. Law suits are very scary situations, but they never stopped communicating until I felt comfortable with the process. - K. Boland
“They were extremely thorough and caring through the entire experience.”
The DRS team was simply tremendous. They were extremely thorough and caring through the entire experience. I felt cared for the entire time. I will recommend them enthusiastically to anyone who ever needs legal help. - Dick K.
“Very professional and very hard working guys that I would suggest to anyone!”
Chris and the rest of the guys at the firm did an amazing job handling my case and making me feel like I was heard and important. Very professional and very hard working guys that I would suggest to anyone! - T. Sapp.
“They kept me in the loop every step of the way and made me feel like family.”
This is a wonderful law firm. They kept me in the loop every step of the way and made me feel like family. I would highly recommend! - David S.
“There are really no words to adequately describe how thankful we are.”
There are really no words to adequately describe how thankful we are for Lyon and the others at this law firm. The events that led us to reach out to your firm were one the worst times in our lives. My husband’s illness and long recovery were something that we were not sure we would ever come back from. Thanks to the hard work, knowledge and dedication that you guys have put forth on our behalf we have been awarded a settlement that will ensure we have a secure financial future. You guys are the best! - Lorrie H.
“The only attorney that would take our case.”
David Randolph Smith was the only attorney that would take our case. We were up against the US Government and Virginia’s state laws. Mr. Smith’s experience and expertise was the only reason we were able to get a settlement. He always answered our calls and kept us informed. Mr. and Mrs. Smith were very professional and nice. God sent this law firm to help us at a very sorrowful time. We were blessed for such a great law firm. If I ever need a lawyer, this firm would be first on my list. Thank you. — Vicky F.
“The end results gave me the justice and satisfaction I so desperately needed.”
Thru what was an absolute nightmare of an ordeal, I was finally blessed with the very best legal team a man could ever want or desire. I can’t even begin to express my overwhelming gratitude and sincere appreciation to my entire legal team. You are all of the very best at what you do, and the end results gave me the justice and satisfaction I so desperately needed. And it also gave me back my health and independence! On a scale to 1 and 10, I would give you give you a 12! God bless all of you from the bottom of my heart! - Darrell H.
“It made all the difference knowing that we were in competent hands.”
My wife and I couldn’t have had a better experience. The whole team was incredibly responsive, attentive, respectful, & friendly. Lyon took our case and you couldn’t ask for a better guy to have on your side. Not only was he super sharp and resourceful, but also the type of person that makes you feel like an old friend. Since we were seeking legal help for a very awful situation it made all the difference knowing that we were in competent hands the whole time. - Mark D.
“They always set realistic expectations and even surpassed them.”
It was a wonderful experience. Everyone we dealt with was attentive and responsive. They always set realistic expectations and even surpassed them. We are very happy we decided to use Smith and Associates. We highly recommend them. - Whitney G.
The Nashville personal injury and medical malpractice law firm of David Randolph Smith & Associates serves clients throughout Tennessee in communities such as Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Clarksville, Murfreesboro, Jackson, Johnson City, Franklin, Hendersonville, Bartlett, Cleveland, Columbia, Cookeville, Gallatin, Lebanon, Brentwood, Springfield, Dickson, Davidson County, Shelby County, Knox County, Hamilton County, Rutherford County, Williamson County, Robertson County, Cheatham County, Maury County and Montgomery County. We also serve clients in Alabama, Kentucky, Indiana, Mississippi and Illinois. AL, KY, IN, MS, IL.
If you are seeking a:
Davidson County Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Tennessee Personal Injury Attorney
Tennessee Medical Malpractice Attorney
Tennessee Wrongful Death Attorney
Tennessee Product Liability Attorney
Tennessee Trucking Accident Attorney
Tennessee Auto Accident Attorney
Tennessee Civil Rights Attorney
Tennessee Birth Injury Attorney or
Tennessee Fire Attorney
We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your case confidentially and free of charge.