When a consumer buys a product, they rightfully expect it to perform safely and efficiently. Unfortunately, that isn’t always the case. Use of defective products can result in tragic consequences. A defective product is one that was either designed with defects or was manufactured improperly. Flawed design or manufacturing defects may result in unsafe products that cause injury to consumers. There have been countless cases of defectively or dangerously designed consumer products harming and often killing consumers, including children. In a products liability case, the law may find blame with any or all individuals involved in the manufacture of a product. This can include the designer, manufacturer, supplier and retailer. Product liability litigation is complex and requires an experienced Nashville, Tennessee product liability attorney.
Aggressively Pursuing Compensation For People Injured by Dangerous Products
For over 40 years, the law has recognized that when companies manufacture or sell products that are dangerously defective, or fail to contain proper warnings, they can be held liable for the injuries their products cause.
At David Randolph Smith & Associates, in Nashville, our attorneys are very experienced in product liability cases. We are familiar with the unique considerations that can apply in these cases, and we know how to get results. Contact us to schedule a free initial consultation. We serve clients throughout Tennessee and in neighboring states.
Click here for a free & confidential case review
The Experience to Handle Your Product Liability Case
David Randolph Smith testified as a legal expert on product liability law before the 100th Congress (House of Representatives) Subcommittee on Commerce, Consumer Protection, and Competitiveness. His testimony and paper appeared in the Congressional Record.
Our firm, as successful Tennessee product liability lawyers, has represented plaintiffs in drug, chemical, vehicle and equipment product liability cases with a track record of significant multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts. Examples include:
- $6 million dollar settlement in a Wilson County, Tennessee case involving a defective crane against a Canadian manufacturer
- $2 million settlement in a Nashville federal court case against a Japanese drug company for a defective diet supplement
- $2,6000,000 settlement (product liability, defective pharmaceutical) in a Montgomery County, Tennessee case involving cardiac injury
The firm has been actively involved as Tennessee product liability attorneys in multi-state and multi-district product liability litigation including:
- Smith v. Union Carbide, 298 F.Supp. 2d 561 (W.D. Ky. 2004) Owners of property surrounding uranium enrichment facility brought action pursuant to Price-Anderson Act alleging that groundwater and soil contamination caused by facility substantially and unreasonably interfered with use and enjoyment of their property).
- Jacobs v. E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., 67 F.3d 1219, 64 USLW 2264, 27 UCC Rep.Serv.2d 1198, Prod.Liab.Rep. (CCH) P 14,378, 1995 Fed.App. 0312P (6th Cir.(Tenn.), Oct 19, 1995) (NO. 93-4144, 93-5978, 93-6561) (Vitek TMJ Proplast jaw implant litigation).
- Wright v. Dow Chemical U.S.A., 845 F.Supp. 503, 24 Envtl. L. Rep. 21,340, 24 UCC Rep.Serv.2d 507 (M.D.Tenn.,Oct 08, 1993) (NO. 3:92-0125) (Dursban insecticide product liability case)
- In re Upjohn Co. Antibiotic Cleocin Products Liability Litigation, 664 F.2d 114, 32 Fed.R.Serv.2d 1441, 6th Cir.(Mich.), Nov 19, 1981.(Multidistrict products liability litigation over the drug Cleocin). David Randolph Smith, Baker & Botts, Houston, Texas
David Randolph Smith began his career as an attorney in 1978 in Houston, Texas defending product liability cases for clients such as Ford Motor Company (fuel tank and park-to-reverse cases) and Upjohn (defective drug cases). He later taught torts and products liability at Vanderbilt University School of Law (1983-1988). Contact a product liability attorney for more information about our product liability practice.
Each state’s law provides consumers with a legal remedy–the right to sue for money damages–if a person (not just the purchaser) is injured or dies as a result of a defective or unreasonably dangerous product. The law of product liability holds manufacturers, distributors and sellers legally responsible for defects in manufacture or design as well as for defective marketing (failure to warn).
In choosing a lawyer to pursue a product liability case, whether it involves a drug, a vehicle or piece of equipment, experience and success are essential.
Call us at 1-615-742-1775 or email us at email@example.com for a free and confidential evaluation of your case.