Tennessee Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Our Practice > Serious Personal Injury > Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents occur in an instant, but the aftermath of a serious accident is often prolonged, overwhelming, and frustrating. It’s difficult to untangle the split-second events leading up to the crash, and dealing with insurance companies, witnesses, and healthcare providers is exhausting. If you or a loved one has been injured in a recent motorcycle accident, you may need a Tennessee motorcycle accident attorney to help you navigate this difficult time. This article will help you know the statistics, understand the risk factors, and take the key steps necessary to ensure that you and your family receive the compensation you deserve.
Tennessee Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- Motorcycle accident fatalities have quadrupled in Tennessee over the past 20 years, increasing from 42 deaths in 1998 to 168 deaths in 2018.
- Nationwide, the average number of motorcycle fatalities reaches over 5,000 annually.
- According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, the vast majority of motorcycle injuries and fatalities occur between 3 p.m. and 9 p.m., often when traffic is heavily congested and daylight is waning.
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, motorcycles have a 550% higher chance than cars of being involved in a fatal accident.
- The NHTSA reports that 78% of motorcycle crashes result in injury, as opposed to only 31% of car wrecks.
Understanding the Risk Factors
Why are motorcycles much more likely to be involved in serious or fatal accidents? Public perception sometimes leads to the assumption that rider error is to blame, but often, motorcycle crashes have more to do with other drivers’ behavior than that of the motorcycle operator. In order to untangle the potential causes of your crash, it’s vital to understand the main risk factors that contribute to motorcycle accidents.
- Visibility: Motorcycles are much smaller than automobiles and tend to be darker in color, which can make them difficult for other drivers to notice, particularly in heavily congested or fast traffic. If another driver is distracted, intoxicated, or glances away from the road for too long, they may fail to notice an oncoming motorcycle and cause a serious collision.
- Balance: Motorcycles operation requires a greater level of balance and coordination than driving, due largely to the light, two-wheel construction of most motorcycles. It is much easier for motorcycles to be thrown off-balance by potholes, debris, or slippery patches on the road, or to be edged off of roadways by aggressive drivers.
- Lack of protection: Compared to automobiles, motorcycles provide virtually no rider protection. An accident that would cause little or no injury to car passengers can be catastrophic to motorcycle riders.
When You’ve Been Injured: Four Key Steps to Take
- Take pictures. If possible, take extensive photographs of the accident scene, the damage to your motorcycle, damage to any other vehicles or stationary objects, any existing skid marks or debris, and any circumstances which may have contributed to the accident, such as road conditions or obscured traffic signs. You should also take pictures of any injuries sustained by you or your passenger and continue to document these injuries as they heal or worsen.
- Write down details. In the days or even hours following the accident, you risk forgetting key facts about the circumstances leading up to the crash, especially if you’ve suffered an injury. You’ll likely be overwhelmed by information from police, healthcare providers, or even conflicting stories from other drivers and eyewitnesses. It’s vital to write down your version of events as soon as possible, in as much detail as you can, to accurately preserve your memory of what happened.
- Obtain a crash report. Crash reports are vital sources of information about recent accidents. They contain the names and addresses of involved parties and potential eyewitnesses, descriptions of the scene of the accident, and the responding officer’s official determination of what happened and who was at fault. Crash reports can be obtained by any driver or passenger involved in the crash by contacting the responding law enforcement agency.
Contact a Tennessee Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you or your loved one were injured in a motorcycle accident that wasn’t your fault, one of your highest priorities is obtaining just compensation for the pain you’ve endured. It’s vital to seek competent, experienced motorcycle injury lawyers as soon as possible before accepting any type of settlement from other drivers or other parties who may be responsible. Contact the Nashville motorcycle accident attorneys at DRS Law for a free consultation, and let our expert motorcycle lawyers advise you on the next steps to take with your claim.
Our firm was recently selected as the Best Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Nashville by Expertise.com for 2022.
Over $500 Million
Recovered Since 1993
We've Helped Thousands of People Just Like You
We are known for getting life-changing results and fighting to make our communities safer.
Wrongful Death Medical Malpractice
Why Choose Us As Your Tennessee Motorcycle Accident Attorney
With us on your side, you can focus on what’s most important – your recovery.
Decades Of Experience
Our Nashville attorneys have over 75 years of combined practice handling cases involving personal injury, medical malpractice, civil rights, medical device lawsuits, wrongful death, and much more.
DRS Law is a well-respected law firm in Nashville and throughout the U.S. Founder, David Randolph Smith, has been selected as a Mid-South Super Lawyer, named one of the Top 100 attorneys in Tennessee in all fields of practice, and is included in the Best Lawyers in America guidebook.
Small Case Volume
Unlike many Nashville firms or lawyers that handle a large volume of cases, we concentrate our expertise on a select few cases. With this, our attorneys ensure that every step is taken to obtain the most favorable outcomes for our clients.
We Prepare For Trial
Every case is meticulously prepared for trial by our trial team and support staff in order to maximize the recovery for our client, whether by settlement or trial verdict. Our proven track record of success has resulted in multi-million-dollar settlements and judgments in a wide variety of individual and group cases.
What to Expect
Our Legal Services Are Completely Personalized To You And Your Unique Needs
01 Free Consultation
Our dedicated personal injury and accident lawyers provide free, no-pressure case evaluations. We will help you determine if you have a case and will answer all your questions in plain English. We never charge any fees until we win your case.
02 Personalized Service
If we take your case, it’s because we believe we can help you. We will get to work outlining a strategic plan of action. We want you to feel taken care of during this difficult time — whatever questions you have, we’re here with answers. Frequent check-ins ensure you are comfortable with the progress of your case.
03 You Get Paid
We are passionate about the success of your case and will give it the close attention and focus it deserves. We find solutions that other lawyers miss, discovering key facts that help you win. We call upon our gifts in storytelling to argue your case with passion and conviction so you get the compensation and justice you deserve.
What Our Clients Say
“The intellect combined with compassion of these people is incredible.”
I am very thankful to David, Lyon, Chris and all professionals who represent this firm. This team made an incredibly difficult situation end successfully. The intellect combined with compassion of these people is incredible. Our concerns were quickly and appropriately responded to, with knowledge and compassion. Law suits are very scary situations, but they never stopped communicating until I felt comfortable with the process. - K. Boland
“They were extremely thorough and caring through the entire experience.”
The DRS team was simply tremendous. They were extremely thorough and caring through the entire experience. I felt cared for the entire time. I will recommend them enthusiastically to anyone who ever needs legal help. - Dick K.
“Very professional and very hard working guys that I would suggest to anyone!”
Chris and the rest of the guys at the firm did an amazing job handling my case and making me feel like I was heard and important. Very professional and very hard working guys that I would suggest to anyone! - T. Sapp.
“They kept me in the loop every step of the way and made me feel like family.”
This is a wonderful law firm. They kept me in the loop every step of the way and made me feel like family. I would highly recommend! - David S.
“There are really no words to adequately describe how thankful we are.”
There are really no words to adequately describe how thankful we are for Lyon and the others at this law firm. The events that led us to reach out to your firm were one the worst times in our lives. My husband’s illness and long recovery were something that we were not sure we would ever come back from. Thanks to the hard work, knowledge and dedication that you guys have put forth on our behalf we have been awarded a settlement that will ensure we have a secure financial future. You guys are the best! - Lorrie H.
“The only attorney that would take our case.”
David Randolph Smith was the only attorney that would take our case. We were up against the US Government and Virginia’s state laws. Mr. Smith’s experience and expertise was the only reason we were able to get a settlement. He always answered our calls and kept us informed. Mr. and Mrs. Smith were very professional and nice. God sent this law firm to help us at a very sorrowful time. We were blessed for such a great law firm. If I ever need a lawyer, this firm would be first on my list. Thank you. — Vicky F.
“The end results gave me the justice and satisfaction I so desperately needed.”
Thru what was an absolute nightmare of an ordeal, I was finally blessed with the very best legal team a man could ever want or desire. I can’t even begin to express my overwhelming gratitude and sincere appreciation to my entire legal team. You are all of the very best at what you do, and the end results gave me the justice and satisfaction I so desperately needed. And it also gave me back my health and independence! On a scale to 1 and 10, I would give you give you a 12! God bless all of you from the bottom of my heart! - Darrell H.
“It made all the difference knowing that we were in competent hands.”
My wife and I couldn’t have had a better experience. The whole team was incredibly responsive, attentive, respectful, & friendly. Lyon took our case and you couldn’t ask for a better guy to have on your side. Not only was he super sharp and resourceful, but also the type of person that makes you feel like an old friend. Since we were seeking legal help for a very awful situation it made all the difference knowing that we were in competent hands the whole time. - Mark D.
“They always set realistic expectations and even surpassed them.”
It was a wonderful experience. Everyone we dealt with was attentive and responsive. They always set realistic expectations and even surpassed them. We are very happy we decided to use Smith and Associates. We highly recommend them. - Whitney G.